Thursday 27 March 2014

The Gay wedding- a photographers dilemma


So guys, I saw something pretty interesting this morning that I want to share...

I was doing my routine morning scan through facebook.com and I saw a very controversial but interesting post and thought I should share it with you guys and get your opinion(s) about it.

A photographer ‘facebook-friend’ of mine who by the way I completely respect and look up to posted something that really got me thinking. In his very words, he said and I quote:

“I got an early DM via twitter this morning from a prospect abroad, he asked “Do you do photography for same sex weddings?”. As always i want to respond ASAP but then I got a little confused and I’m wondering why. Of course the pay will be great but my faith..., and if the government of naija gets to know. What do you suggest, as he is still expecting a response ASAP. Help a brother here”


I quickly wanted to type a reply but just as I was about to, I wasn’t sure what to type anymore. It really got me thinking. I sat with my phone for minutes thinking. I even tried the ‘WWJD’ theory, still nothing. I then decided to critically analyse the situation.

My first conclusion was very simple and straight forward. Do not cover the wedding and do not cover other ‘circular’ events as well; cover the wedding if you would cover other circular events.

After discussing with a senior friend, my final conclusion was made. Christians these days have become too permissive. We now have two variations of Christians; the ones who see something wrong, do not practice or believe in it but see nothing wrong with it or persons practicing or believing in it and the other set of Christians who see something wrong, do not practice or believe in it and do not support and see everything wrong with it and the persons practicing or believing in it.

The ideal Christian should be the later but the society we are in today says the opposite.
The funny part is, as ‘Christians’ we know what the correct thing is suppose to be which is Romans 1;27:

   “Romans 1:27- and the men, instead of having a normal sex relationship with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men and, as a result, getting paid within their own souls  with the penalty they so richly deserve.”

...but for the love of what we stand to earthly gain...

  “2 peter 2:15- they have gone off the road and become lost like Balaam, the son of Beor who fell in love with the money he could make by doing wrong;...”

...we have chosen to look the other way.
At this point, there is not much I can say anymore.

In my opinion, if he truly says he is a Christian, and indeed lives the life of a Christian, then of cause he shouldn’t cover the wedding but then again, if he is not a true Christian, then it is his decision to make whether or not he wants to cover the wedding. One cannot say one would not cover a same sex wedding but go on to cover a beer brand party. In God’s eyes, there is no big or small sin. Sin is sin. As Christians, we should be very careful and mindful of our every actions and the decisions we make using the WWJD (what would Jesus do) as our guide. Everything we need for life is wrapped up in God’s word. Live by the word!
I would refer you guys to a book by Sheldon Charles Monroe titled IN HIS STEPS. It talks more on the WWJD principle.

Feel free to drop your opinions, views and comments. I look forward to reading them.
Stay blessed!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Alright this is why we avoid controversy, I love your own angle. When you allow money overshadow your principles, trust me you live to regret it later. Wetin no good, no good.

Emy Watson said...

What's it like being a bagger?
Chopper

Anonymous said...

Your Post is very useful, I am truly happy to post my note on this blog . It helped me with ocean of awareness so I really consider you will do much better in the future.
best combination bike lock